Adult Education Family Learning Specialist
Jun 7, 2018
The National Center for Families Learning, a private nonprofit organization located in Louisville, KY, is seeking a Family Learning Specialist to provide subject matter expertise in adult education and parent engagement for family literacy programs. Underlying expertise in effective family engagement practices and the ability to create and deliver high-quality professional development are requirements. Experience working with low income, culturally diverse, and/ or American Indian populations is highly desired.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a passion for NCFL's mission to address literacy challenges by engaging all family members in intergenerational learning, with a primary focus on parents and children living in poverty.
- Plans and delivers high quality, research-based, face-to-face and online professional development.
- Plans and delivers high quality technical assistance in support of project goals.
- Conduct site visits, calls, and provide online support.
- Effectively communicates with educators and partners in both written and oral formats.
- Supports the annual national Families Learning Conference.
- Participates as a team member in the development and implementation of NCFL services on a variety of efforts which may include:
- New programs focusing on family learning; and
- Opportunities to promote reading and early acquisition of reading skills as well as the parent's role in supporting literacy.
- Provides technical writing of digital and print training materials.
- Recognizes and takes advantage of appropriate opportunities to advance the work in the fields of adult education and family literacy
- Attends organization and industry-related meetings, as required
- Establishes individual goals which are aligned with NCFL's mission
- Functions as a contributing member of work teams as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or higher (Master's degree, preferred) in adult education or education-related field.
- Demonstrated proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in English and other languages as applicable.
- Five years teaching (or equivalent) experience.
- Demonstrated experience in designing educational materials and delivering professional development.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in program implementation.
- A strong and highly proficient technical knowledge in adult learning theory, adult education and family literacy
- Ability to effectively utilize technology in an educational environment
- Ability to travel including evenings and occasional weekends for up to 50% of the time
- The location of this position is in Louisville, KY
- Strong tolerance for ambiguity—able to withhold actions or speech in the absence of information; deal with unresolved situations; frequent change, delays or unexpected events; adapt to situations as they arise.
- Consultative approach—able to ask questions to gain an understanding of needs; coach to define goals and develop action plans; facilitate awareness of barriers and strategies to achieve desired results.
- Influence and Persuasion—able to convince others in either positive or negative circumstances; use tact when expressing ideas; present ideas to authority figures; adapt presentations to suite a particular audience; respond to objections appropriately.
- Communication—able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; read and interpret complex information; talk with customers and clients; listen well
- Planning, Prioritizing and Goal Setting—able to prepare for emerging customer needs; manage multiple projects; determine project urgency in a meaningful way; use goals to guide actions and create action plans; organize and schedule people and tasks.
- Relationship Management/ Respecting Diversity—able to develop rapport with others; build and maintain long-term associations based on trust; adapt behavior to others' style; interact with people who have different values, cultures or backgrounds; demonstrate respect.
- Team Work: works collaboratively with others to achieve group goals and objectives.
Integrity HR, Inc. is our HR partner that works with us to help us with filling our position openings.
NCFL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to workplace diversity. NCFL offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For information regarding NCFL, visit our website at www.familieslearning.org.