Jul 24, 2017
The National Center for Families Learning, a private nonprofit organization located in Louisville, KY, is seeking a Reading Specialist to provide subject matter expertise on trends and issues involving reading education. The reading specialist will develop and lead projects by using research-based reading practices intended to raise academic achievement levels of learners. The Reading Specialist will create and deliver high-quality professional development based upon these research-based practices. Strong writing skills, technology skills, and interpersonal skills are critical attributes of this position, as is experience working with diverse populations.
The Reading Specialist will:
- Plan and deliver high quality, research-based, face-to-face, and online professional development through secured contracts or as part of project work
- Plan and deliver high quality ongoing technical assistance in support of project goals
- Provide technical writing and content development for a variety of projects and audiences
- Develop engaging materials for parents/families and education professionals
- Participate as a team member in the development and implementation of NCFL services and programs on a variety of efforts which may include:
- community capacity building
- programming to lift families out of poverty through adult skill-building
- serving the elementary school population and fostering early learning and family engagement practices
- promoting reading and early acquisition of reading as well as the parent's role in supporting literacy development
- Support and participate in the annual Families Learning Conference
- Recognize and take advantage of appropriate opportunities to advance the work of the project team, the organization, and the field of family literacy
- Attend organization and industry-related meetings, as required
- Establish individual goals which are aligned with the organization's mission
- Function as a contributing member of the department's education team, as well as cross-division work within the organization, as assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned by management or executive leadership
The Reading Specialist will:
- Hold a Bachelor's Degree at minimum with a strong background in reading instruction or related area;
- A minimum of 5 years of teaching experience, including reading instruction; Master's degree with reading coursework or specialist certification preferred.
- Have experience in at least two of the following four areas: early learning, elementary education, secondary education, and/or adult education
- Demonstrate proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in English and other languages as applicable
- Demonstrate experience in designing high-quality educational materials
- Demonstrate experience delivering high-quality, research-based professional development with emphasis on effective reading practices
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge in program development and implementation
- Hold a strong and highly proficient technical knowledge in at least three of the following areas: early learning, elementary education, secondary education, family literacy/family engagement, and/or adult education
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with diverse audiences, ensuring all participants feel respected and valued
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and efficiently on varied projects simultaneously, individually and with a team
- Effectively utilize technology in an educational environment
- Travel approximately 10-15% of time, including occasional evenings and weekends
Applicants should submit their resume to email@example.com. Ann Mulcahy is the Human Resources Consultant with Integrity HR, Inc. that is the human resources consulting firm that assists us with filling our position vacancies.
NCFL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to workplace diversity. NCFL offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package. For information regarding NCFL, visit our Web site at www.familieslearning.org.